1. Program Objective
The Korean Government Scholarship Program is designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students, with the aim of promoting international exchange in education, as well as mutual friendship among the participating countries
2. Quota for U.S.A Scholars
- General : 15 persons
- Overseas Korean Adoptee: 3 persons
3. Duration of Scholarship
- Master’s (2016.9.1 ~ 2019.8.31) : 1 yr. of Korean language + 2 yrs of Master’s
- Doctoral (2016.9.1 ~ 2020.8.31): 1yr. of Korean language + 3 yrs of Doctoral
4. Application Requirements
- The applicant and his/her parents must have foreign citizenships.
- Korean Citizen, including those who hold dual citizenship, are NOT eligible to apply.
- Applicants and their parents who had previously held Korean citizenship must submit the document of the renunciation of their Korean citizenship.
- Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for an extended period of time.
- Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2016 (born after Sep. 1st, 1976).
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of August 31st, 2016.
※ Applicants who have completed a degree, Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral, in Korea are Not eligible to apply.
※ Applicants who have been enrolled at Korea universities as exchange students are eligible to apply.
※ A KGSP scholar who graduated or expected to graduate as of August 31, 2016 is eligible to apply under the following condition. He/She is allowed to apply only via Embassy Track. The re-application is allowed only once.
- Applicants must maintain a grade point average (G.P.A.) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution.
- All documents including transcript, self-introduction, study plan(research proposal), certificates of language proficiency (Korean and English), recommendations, published papers and awards, etc., will be evaluated.
5. Required Documentation : See the Guideline
- One original document (placed in a separate envelope) and 3 extra photocopies.
* Documents not in English or Korean must be accompanied by a complete English or Korean translation
authenticated by the issuing institution or notarized by a notary’s office.
* Applicants must submit all the documents by the checklist order. (Checklist for the application documents
should be on the front page, followed by the required documents, stapled and attached.)
6. Application Deadline
- Deadline of Submission : March 17
- Place of Submission : Korean Education Center in LA
1) Address: 680 Wilshire Place #200, Los Angeles, CA 90005
2) Phone: 213-386-3112(ex.207)
7. For further information, please contact :
- KGSP Team, National Institute for International Education (NIIED)
- Address: #205 NIIED, 81 Ewhajang-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-810, Republic of Korea
- Phone: +82-2-3668-1364, +82-2-3668-1389
- Fax: +82-2-743-4992
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Application Forms